Friday, May 17, 2013

A Message for New High School Graduates


All across America, Oklahoma and the Cherokee Nation, high school seniors are preparing to graduate, and are busy making plans for their futures, whether they go directly to work or choose to continue their education. It is an exciting time, and life offers a series of options. I remember my graduation from Tahlequah High School like it was yesterday, even though it has been a little bit longer than that. It was a time of both possibility and uncertainty.

Like many high school graduates, I didn't know for sure what I wanted to do or what my future would hold. I certainly didn’t think I would someday be the principal chief of the largest tribal government in the nation. I didn’t think I would testify before Congress or meet with the President of the United States. But I always hoped that I could somehow make a difference for my people.

I attended Northeastern State University and followed the path that has deep roots in my family: history and education. Eventually, I settled into a career as a small business owner, but never wavered on my commitment to public service and helping others.

To all of our Cherokee graduates, I encourage you to do the same. Pursue your passions – and always remember, you're allowed to have more than one. If I could impart a short list of advice to my then 17 year old self, I would offer these ideas as a road map:

·        Find work that you love, commit yourself to it and excel. Invest in yourself every day. Invest in your spiritual and physical health.
·        Explore new ideas and opportunities. Always expand your horizons and knowledge.
·        Accept and embrace change. Most things are fleeting, enjoy them in the moment and know change is always around the corner.
·        Don’t worry too much about what others think of you. Your opinion of yourself is what’s most important; Make good decisions and always be proud of them.
·        Talk to people from all walks of life. People of all ages and all levels in society can be your teacher. Ask them questions and listen to their answers – they just might hold the key to unlocking your imagination or your future.
·        Take full advantage of all your resources. Your family, your tribe, and your circle of friends all want you to succeed.  Lean on them and us – we are all here to help you be all you can be and reach your dreams. 

This time is a time of growth and change, embrace it and always remember who you are and lead with your Cherokee heart. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment